Douglas L. Polcin, Ed.D
Ed.D. Counseling Psychology, Boston's Northeastern University
M.S. Clinical Psychology, San Francisco State University
Primary Research Area:
Peer helping, motivational enhancement therapy, criminal justice mandated treatment, the roles of coercion and confrontation in treatment outcome, bridging treatment and research, and spirituality.
- Capacity Building Initiative for Substance Abuse and HIV Prevention Services for At-Risk Racial/Ethnic Minority Young Adults (Co-Investigator)
- Enhancing Engagement and Retention in Quality HIV Care for Transgender Women of Color in Oakland, Alameda County (Co-Investigator)
- Intensive Motivational Interviewing for Methamphetamine Dependence (Principal Investigator)
- Moderators of Motivation to Maintain Sobriety Over 18 Months (Principal Investigator)
- Reducing Offenders HIV Risk: MI Enhanced Case Management with Drug-Free Housing (Principal Investigator)
Recently/Selected Completed Projects:
- An Evaluation of Sober Living Houses (Principal Investigator)
- Coercion to enter Treatment from Probation Officers.(Principal Investigator)
NIAAA R03 AA12358
The goal of this study was to investigate probation officers’ use of coercion as a means of improving alcohol treatment utilization among individuals on probation. The study also identified individual and organizational factors that predicted the use of coercion to enter treatment. The design used a cross-sectional self-administered survey.
- Community Impact on Adoption of Sober Living Houses (Principal Investigator)
- Measuring Confrontation During Recovery (Principal Investigator)
- When Does Pressure Facilitate Help Seeking? 25 Year Trends and Correlates (Principal Investigator)
Awards & Activities:
- Adjunct faculty member at John F. Kennedy University (2002 - 2011)
- Adjunct Faculty at the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology (2008 - 2010)
- NIAAA Training Program Post-doctoral Fellow, Alcohol Research Group and UC Berkeley SPH (1996 - 1998)
Selected Research Publications:
For a full listing of Douglas L. Polcin's publications, click here.